After the tragic limousine wreck occurred in New York resulting in 20 people being killed, many individuals are now considering how safe limos and other commercial passenger vehicles are to rent when looking for a way to celebrate a milestone or major event. Although wrecks involving limos aren’t among the most common types of wrecks to occur, this tragic crash signifies they can and do happen and everyone should be aware of what to look for when they decide to rent a limo so they can avoid putting themselves in a dangerous or even deadly situation.
Now, because investigators who were assigned to work on the recent accident that occurred in NY found that the limo driver was not properly licensed nor did the limo pass its last inspection, it is important that rather being fearful of using a limousine service for your next big event, you take the time to research reputable companies who have an excellent reputation. Newsday shared some things you should do before booking a limousine service to transport you regardless of what the occasion may be.
- The first thing the new source highlighted you can do is check around for any recommendations. There are many sources available that may be able to provide you with some suggestions as to which company you might consider booking with. Some sources include:
- Family members
- Facebook friends
- Checking online review sites such as Angie’s List and Yelp
- Now, after you have chosen one or two companies that you are considering booking a limousine with, be sure the company is “experienced, reputable, has been around for a while, and has “a solid reputation.” You can do this by asking the company to provide you with proof of insurance, registration, inspection records, and their license that indicates that they are, in fact, permitted to be in operation.
- Another step you can take in determining whether a company is following state and federal regulations and are qualified and licensed to operate is check their business history by contacting the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). You can also take advantage of the FMCSA’s online tool that allows you to check the public motor carrier safety data for the company you are interested in working with.
- Consider asking the company for information pertaining to the vehicle you will be renting. Some things you can ask include the mileage of the vehicles used, the manufacture date, or you can opt to see the vehicles that are being rented out in person.
- Once you narrow your search down to one company you feel confident in working with, be sure you read the contract thoroughly before signing it. Look for information regarding what the company’s policy is regarding replacement vehicles and whether you are allowed to request a new driver if you aren’t happy with the person who arrives to pick you and your party up.
Unfortunately, as cautious and as careful as individuals might be when choosing to book a service with a company that offers transportation services, there is still the potential for an crash to occur. If you were recently been involved in a wreck in Nashville while being transported in any type of motor vehicle, including Uber, Lyft, on a public transit bus, etc., you may be entitled to collect compensation from the parties who caused the collision to occur.
To find out what your physical and psychological injuries might be worth, contact Nashville, TN personal injury attorney George R. Fusner, Jr. today. Our office will work to identify who the liable parties are, how much your case is worth, and what forms of legal action you are permitted to take given the circumstances surrounding the accident.
You can reach the Law Office of George R. Fusner, Jr. at
7104 Peach Court
Brentwood, TN 37027